Nelson has a rich tradition of recognizing students for their many contributions to life at Nelson. As part of that tradition, the Nelson Medals are awarded for outstanding involvement and success in at least four of the five major areas of school life: Academics, Arts, Athletics, Clubs and Activities, and Leadership. The minimum point requirement per category is 100 points. There is an application process that must be followed and the medals are awarded at Awards Night in the fall or at Commencement. All students are encouraged to “Go for the Gold!” by accumulating points throughout their high school career. Former Robert Bateman High School students are welcome to include Bateman contributions in their points collection.
Gold Medal = 2000 points required
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE FIRST TWO ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE ACADEMICS CATEGORY ONLY, MEDAL POINTS ARE EARNED FOR NELSON EXTRACURRICULAR/VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES. YOU MUST ATTAIN A 60% AVERAGE IN THE YEAR OF APPLICATION FOR A MEDAL.
1. Applicants must accumulate points in at least four of the five categories.
2. Minimum point requirement per category is 100 points.
3. Applicants must submit their points via Google Classroom using this link. Once in the Google Classroom read the instructions under 'Start Here'. Submissions must be completed by June 1st of their graduating year.
4. Where a range of possible points is indicated for an activity, the applicant’s allotment will be determined by the Supervisor/Advisor. (5 pts./hr. of involvement is used as a guideline)
5. The Nelson Medal Committee, in consultation with appropriate personnel, are the final arbiters of the awards.
6. The following types of activities are NOT ELIGIBLE for medal points:
a) activities/projects which are part of a course where credit is granted.
b) tasks which are considered a normal expectation of a role or of membership in a group.
Please contact Ms. Hall at email@example.com if you have any questions.
FOR ACTIVITIES NOT LISTED
If you have participated in an activity or accomplished a task you feel deserves points but is not shown on the list below:
Forward an email to your guidance counsellor with a detailed outline of the achievement, along with contact information (name, email, phone#) of the person who can validate your report
Approximately 5pts/hour of involvement is used as a guideline
Be prepared to defend your claim if asked to appear before the Nelson Medals Committee